I follow Book Soup Bookstore on Instagram. On Friday night, I noticed a post that said:
“We found seven more copies of Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks. They won’t last an hour!”
On my way up to a holiday party on Saturday morning, I took a detour to West Hollywood to purchase a copy. At opening, I gleefully walked up to the front desk and asked whether they had any copies left.
“No, those ran out within the hour of posting that. It was crazy.”
I was automatically disappointed but I decided to make the best of the situation and browse around. As I stared up and down the infinite shelves, I found a signed copy of From Eternity to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death which is another title on my To Read List. With a slight smile on my face, I tucked it under my arm and explored the store.
One of my favorite spots was right next to the office where cards decorate the stairs. There is a shelf under it where they’ve stacked traveling books. The shelves are neatly crammed under the tiny space and a map overlooks the books. There is no other small space like it and I was captivated by how intimate it felt.
After browsing the colorful titles, I went to purchase my copy and asked the cashier,
“Let me ask the back.”
“Hey, do you know if there is any more of the signed Tom Hank book?" She nods and hangs up the phone.
"So she said there might be 1-2 copies left, she'll come over.”
I was finally hopeful again. Another woman comes over and says,
“So I think there might be one more left on that table over there.” She points over to another side of the store.
We look over to the table and a woman is leafing through it. My heart sinks, I’m hoping she puts it down. After what seems like five minutes, she places it back on the table and walks away. I smoothly walk over and pick it up.
I can't tell you how ecstatic I felt.
Check out Book Soup Bookstore and my excitement below.
Book Soup Bookstore Background
- Book Soup Bookstore was founded in 1975 by Glenn Goldman
- The largest general interest independent bookstore in Hollywood
- Has 60,000 titles, specializing in art, film, photography, music, and literary fiction
- Known for high-profile author readings, limited edition books, signed books, vinyl record reissues, and celebrity clientele
- Celebrity guest have included Muhammad Ali, Howard Stern, Annie Leibovitz, Chuck Palahniuk, Jenna Jameson, Hunter S. Thompson, Norman Mailer, and The Doors
- There is a second branch of Book Soup in the departure lounge of the Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles airport